Friday, May 07, 2010

Adieu for now

After five years a lot of things have changed in the blogosphere. There are now a lot of us and most doing a much better job than me. It has been a long journey and it seems as you may have guessed by the posting rate that it has to end as my life has steadily taken new turns.

I've learned a lot driving the blog, one thing of interest is how google prioritises 'newness' over 'fact' – a very worrying find now that so much of our lives is driven by what google delivers forth on search or request.

Along the way, we've investigated the watch market, the grey market, shilling, how to get a deal, predicted a few pieces, dissected some designs, caught out IWC and JLC on their movements, seen appalling disloyalty, been plagiarised without credit and had also quite unbelievable, disgusting and threatening behaviour beyond belief from some senior watch executives. All because of my skaiwy lickle bwog? Oh and I like to think I had a bit of a hand in the rebirth of Polaris. ;-)

Yet, I've also learned many things from many patient and generous people - particularly former members of Watchrap such as SuitbertW and of course Dr Thomas M. Thanks also to supporters Dario, Chuck, Chris, A Fan, and others along the way. I have also been in receipt of quite astonishing graciousness and generosity from both JLC and AP. I thank you both.

Over the next few weeks I will cut down the content to the important minimum, so save what you will otherwise! I intend to keep things like comparison of JLC 1000 hours versus COSC test data, but anecdotal and diaryesque entries will disappear. Here's to you subscribers and your patience, I hope you appreciated that I deleted the ad feed to you. So for now adieu and A toute a l'heure.

7 comments:

Speedmaster said...

You are a gentleman. You will be missed. You posts were rare, but the signal to noise ratio was the best going! ;-)

Amber said...

How sad.

This is your last post?

Robert-Jan said...

Hi,

Sad news! Although the number of posts was decreasing over time, the content was still among the best out there. Check back every now and then with a great post (as always) or may I invite you to some guest blogging over at FratelloWatches every now and then?

Till then, good luck!

Best,
Robert-Jan
www.fratellowatches.com

Ryan said...

Thank you very much for the time and effort spent on your well-written, extensively researched, and often fascinating blog. It clearly stands out from the pack, and you have very few peers in your field.

Compared to the clutter and ill-informed noise that comprises the majority of the content on the forums, it's a delight to read your thoughts and opinions.

Your often strong views are most certainly appreciated by this reader, and I look forward to any future posts you may have.

Anonymous said...

I hope you will still post from time to time ,
Your blog has certainly been a case of quality
over quantity , appreciate all your informative
efforts , enjoy your sabbatical :-) .

Sava Georgiev said...

Well, to be honest I never read your posts before, but I'm already starting to miss you.

armanimenwatches said...

Thank you very much for the time and effort spent on your well-written, extensively researched, and often fascinating blog. It clearly stands out from the watches ar1400, and you have very few peers in your field.appreciate all your informative
efforts , enjoy your sabbatical :-) .